Monday, May 8, 2017

Papertrey Ink Traveler's Journal Pockets


It's Traveler's Journal feature day at Papertrey Ink, and I'm excited to share what I've been working on! This month is all about pockets and different ways to use them in your traveler's journals. We also have a new die set coming called Traveler's Journal: Booklet Accessories. Lots of bits and pieces in this die set, which I'll share more of below.

This and all the other new products will be available at 10pm EST May 15 in the Papertrey Ink store. 



For today's projects, I've put together a few more memory-keeping spreads from my family's April activities. I mentioned last month how much I'm loving getting back into memory keeping, especially in this small format. I'm also finding (just like with my cards) that I like a "chunky" book with lots of layers, inserts, and other bits and pieces. Pockets are perfect for my style and my needs. In the spreads I'm sharing below, you'll see some different ways I've used pockets for extra journaling. They really help you get the most out of your page real estate!

Warning, picture heavy post! (Supplies are all listed at the end, too.)


I'm continuing right where I left off for last month's post. On the left I've used the Booklets Accessories pocket to add a place for a new-to-us recipe that I want to remember. I fixed something called Sunrise Scramble from Melissa Joulwan's Well Fed 2. The Sunrise Spice seasoning blend was SO SO good that it needed to be documented, and the pocket was the perfect format. 



On the front of the insert is the recipe and on the back is some journaling about the recipe. 



On the right side, I've included a photo of my cat and dog chillin' on the same sofa. As the label says, this is the closest they've been to each other in the four years we've had them! There is a polaroid-style frame included in Booklets Accessories. My picture didn't quite fit, so I just used it as a layering element instead. It's the Aqua Mist one in the back. The label is stamped with the Traveler's Journal: Dates images. The type was done using a vintage typewriter. Heather does this, and I love the look (and happen to have a typewriter, too).



Next begins a series of pages around a three-day All-Virgina Orchestra event my oldest son got to participate in. Here I've slipped a glassine bag into the booklet itself. Booklet Accessories comes with dies to cut holes into pages and other things. I found the middle of the bag, die-cut the holes, and then treated the bag as its own page. You'll see the other half of the bag on a later spread. 



The label in the the top left corner is part of Booklet Accessories too. (The set really IS filled with wonderful bits and pieces!) I stamped it with a caption from Traveler's Journal: Typed Notes.



The bag insert makes a wonderful pocket here for a large tag filled with journaling.



Heres what the spread looks like with the tag pocket folded to the other side.



More journaling on the back.



This was the day of the actual concert, which was so amazing. I wanted to record both some information about the concert programming as well as the actual music selections, and again, a pocket was perfect for all of that info. I used the Stitched Tag pocket layer and stitched it right onto the page.



Journaling on the front, music selections on the back.



And my last spread for today documents my attempt to get a good photo of my two oldest. If you look closely, you'll see that there is not one photo where they are both looking at me and smiling. I usually have one or two attempts with my oldest before he is just done and stone-faced. My daughter is the silly one and seems to have inherited her mother's talent for closing her eyes in photos!

This is also where the other half of the glassine bag appears. I didn't need it in the same way I needed it on the first half, but when you put these in as page inserts, the other half isn't move-able, so you just need to work with it ;)


Here the Booklets Accessories label makes a nice backdrop for a grouping of elements.



I tucked some simple journaling into the glassine bag pocket, using one of the Booklet Accessories dies for a pull tab.



The back of the glassine bag is decorated too. I may do some journaling or stamping in that white space to the right, but i haven't decided exactly what yet (if anything).

That's it for today! What about you, do you like things layered and chunky or trim and lean?

My supply list is lengthy, but most of the little bits and pieces were things I pulled from my scrap bin. Something about these little booklets makes it so easy to mix and match random leftovers in new ways. I don't feel the same pressure to make everything "work" -- it's quite freeing!


Stamps: Moments Inked: Divided, Planner Banners; Traveler's Journal: Dates, Typed Notes; Monthly Moments: Tabbed; Palm Prints; Star Scribbles

Dies: Traveler's Journal: Booklet Accessories; Moments Inked: Divided, Planner Banners; Monthly Moments: Journal Card 5; Palm Prints; Songbirds; Leaf & Sprig Frames; Star Scribbles; Tiny Tags; Sketched Stars; Small Sketched Stars; Stitched Tag; Fancy Foliage Details; Limitless Layers: Heart Stitches; Bitty Button Stacks

Ink: Mint Julep, Pinefeather, Aqua Mist, Fresh Snow, Hawaiian Shores, Blueberry Sky, Enchanted Evening, Stormy Sky

Paper: Traveler's Journal: Page Blanks; Kraft, Mint Jule, Aqua Mist, Fresh Snow Linen, Blueberry Sky, Enchanted Evening, Pure Poppy card stock; Mint Julep + White Basics; Soft Stone Stripe; vellum

Other: mini paper clip, tiny attacher, ink blending tool, white linen thread, Enchanted Evening baker's twine, glassine bag, enamel dots, corner rounder, typewriter, alphabet stickers 


Thanks so much for joining me today! Be sure to visit Nichole's blog today for lots more Traveler's Journal inspiration!




SaveSave

No comments: