Saturday, July 23, 2016

SAF 2015: Masterpiece Inspirations



Papertrey's Stamp-A-Faire 2016 is nearing the half-way point. How's everyone doing? 

Our 2 pm challenge, Masterpiece Inspirations, features the whole team. We were each challenged to choose a favorite master artist, then use one of his or her masterpieces as inspiration. There's a huge range of styles represented, so I hope you'll have as much fun with this challenge as we did!

I chose Henri Matisse and specifically a work, La Gerbe, from his late period. In his later years, when Matisse became confined to bed or a wheelchair, he was unable to continue with his traditional painting and sculpting. That's when he began creating paper collages out of cut paper, or what he called "drawing with scissors." The cut-outs have an incredible emotional energy to them, and have become some of his most celebrated works. Matisse's story resonates so much with me because of its lessons on hope and persistence and never giving up. When faced with physical disability, he found new ways to express himself. I like to think of creativity as a force that can't be quashed, maybe redirected, but never extinguished.


For my card, I began by painting swatches of paper in the bright colors of La Gerbe. Then I die-cut them with the branch die from Songbirds, and arranged the branches along the bottom, slightly radiating outward.


The sentiment was done with So Striking (stamps and dies).


Stamps: So Striking


Ink: True Black, Aqua Mist, Tropical Teal, Ocean Tides, Enchanted Evening, New Leaf, Limeade Ice, Green Parakeet, Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise, Orange Zest, Pure Poppy

Paper: white card stock

Other: watercolor brush, ink blending tool, foam adhesive, liquid glue



For more Masterpiece Inspirations, visit the team:




3 comments:

BeverlyBL said...

I love your card. Wonderful colors. I always liked Matisse but did not know about his collages. Thank you for being informative, as well as wonderfully artistic.

SavedbyGrace said...

I've always loved Matisse but I never knew that about him. Your interpretation is wonderful. Wouldn't you love to talk to him and ask him what he thinks about it. I bet he would love it.

Leigh Penner said...

This is gorgeous, Amy! I wanted to CASE it exactly, since those Songbird leaves are my favourites!